Friday, August 1, 2008

Enter The Boxador!

It is the end of a very eventful evening around here. Tonight, we went and picked up the newest member of our family. She is a three-month-old puppy, a lab-boxer mix. Those are our two favorite dog breeds, so why not mix them up and have a boxador? No, she's not one of those designer hybrids, just a regular old accidental mutt, but a very beautiful one. She is fawn colored, with white on all four paws, the tip of her long tail, and in a line on her forehead. We got her from a woman from Sarah's work, who could no longer keep her. Officially, she is just here for a weekend trial, to make sure she gets along with Libby. They are getting along great, though. The puppy follows Libby around lovingly, and Libby is gentle and patient with her. The puppy is submissive to Libby, and is scared to enter her basement "lair".
The puppy has a name, but we may or may not change it. She is friendly and loving, but not overly hyper (for a boxer-lab mix). She is housebroken and sits on command. She sat calmly in Sarah's lap the whole way home tonight. Asher is absolutely thrilled! We went to family night at the zoo tonight, then went to pick up the puppy.
It was kind of a tough week, and it is good to have arrived at Friday night. The truck broke down in a scorching parking lot at lunch yesterday, and I had to get it started in time to get back for meetings. The new starter I put in a few months ago actually stripped its bolts and was hanging off the truck. Nice!
Today is the one year anniversary of the I-35 bridge collapse in Minneapolis. I remember where I was in the moments after that happened, watching in unfold on TV in a BBQ restaurant here in Iowa. I was in town working, a few days before I flew back to Utah to pack up and move here. As I remembered that today, it suddenly hit me that we have been here one year! It is hard to believe. It still seems a bit unreal that we are really here, and that this is home now. It don't know when that feeling goes away, or if it ever really does.
Anyway, it is time to turn in. The puppy is sleeping contentedly on the floor, not on any furniture, by the way. She is almost too well-behaved. I'm sure we will soon see another side of her!

1 comment:

Five Carmonas said...

She is beautiful! I hope she stays! Send us some good puppy vibes....the kids and I really want a puppy (a tiny dog to "go with" our huge dog)but David doesn't...so we are working on him......
happy puppy days!

Contributors


Hits (since July 8, 2008)