Sunday, February 15, 2009

American Gothic

First of all, here's a little bit of 80's nostalgia from the streets of Des Moines. I know someone out there will appreciate this. I've seen a lot of little things written on stop signs, but this is the best. Today, after church, we went to the Des Moines Art Center. They have a special exhibit right now of "Midwestern Regionalism", which includes the famous "American Gothic" by Grant Wood, back in Iowa for a couple of months. That painting is such an icon of Iowa and America, it was amazing to see it right up close. I really liked the Grant Wood landscapes in the exhibit. The DM Art Center is an excellent museum. It has amazing architecture, and a great permanent collection, especially of modern art. Asher's loved it, and did surprisingly well, although I did find myself saying "No, Asher, don't touch the Picasso!" Don't worry, he didn't actually touch the Picasso, but there are no ropes or anything in front of most of the art. Overall, his favorites were the video installations. Tonight, Asher found a fairly small Amazon box from one of my birthday presents, and sat in it. It was really funny (pictures don't do it justice). He said it was his car, and I pushed him all over the house in it.

2 comments:

Five Carmonas said...

ice ice baby! oh yeah...

well, now that will be in my head all day!

Please tell Asher that we love his new car! But it could probably use a new paint job and maybe some rims.

Sweet Mess said...

I like that stop sign!!!

Contributors


Hits (since July 8, 2008)