It is a muggy night on the plains, after a day of big thunderstorms. They say in Iowa that it is always hot and sticky during the State Fair, and that is holding true this year. The fair started last Thursday, and we are planning our first visit for Monday. We'll be spending the whole day, and all three of us are really excited. The Iowa State Fair really is an amazing thing to see. Next Friday, we will be going back to the fair, because...(and this might be the most "country" thing I ever say)... I won Brooks and Dunn tickets in a corn shuckin' contest! That's right, I know how to shuck some corn. We need to find a babysitter, though, and that might be tough to find.
We have been very busy lately. I had a really long, hectic week at work, and being back in college adds a little bit more stress. School is going really well, though. So far, I'm getting A in my first class, Microeconomics, and it will be over a week from Monday. Actually, I should be writing a paper right now. After that, I will be taking two new classes. It is good to be back in school, and I am much more excited about learning this time around. It's weird, Sarah will tell you I won't shut up about economics right now.
We haven't done much exciting. Last week, we went to the famous Route 141 garage sale. Route 141 is a highway that leaves the Des Moines area and goes northwest about 100 miles. For one day every year, the whole length of it becomes a big garage sale. All the little towns bec

ome packed with people walking around, shopping for old stuff. My favorite part of the sale was having an excuse to stop and check out all of the farms along the highway out in the country. Most of them had an old barn full of really interesting stuff for sale. One farmer, way

back off the highway on a dirt road, let Asher pet his goats and rabbits in the barn, and let Sarah use his real, old-fashioned, wooden outhouse. Meanwhile, I was desperately trying to find something to buy, so we weren't just looky-loos.
This week was an important milestone, the two-year anniversary of our big move to Iowa. I still miss a lot about Salt Lake City. I miss family, the mountains, even Crown Burgers. We are comfortable and at home here in Iowa, though. I have been in a little bit nostalgic the last few days, and have been looking through pictures from two years ago. It wasn't really that long ago, but Asher has changed so much! Hey,
I've changed so much! Here are some pictures of those first few days here in 2007, when we lived in motel and wondered what we had just done!
Our big moving truck
Life on the road can be pretty rough!











































































..Asher watching TV and eating a burrito in his little area while we unloaded the truck into storage
No comments:
Post a Comment