Sunday, August 23, 2009

State Fair Time!

It is a sunny, beautiful Sunday afternoon in Iowa. We have spent quite a bit of time this weekend driving around the area, including a long drive in the country after church today. The weather has been picture-perfect, with blue skies and fluffy white clouds. Last Monday was our big day at the state fair. We had a great time, staying from early morning until the evening. Even with that much time, you really can't see everything. Our favorite parts were the animal barns... (a picture can't really do justice to the size of the swine barn) ...the giant boars... ...ostriches (the baby ones are really cute)... ...wooden cutouts.... ...Asher learning how to be a farmer at "Little Hands on the Farm"... ...big tractors (that's me inside)... ...little tractors... ....really little tractors ...the veterans' parade... ...the petting zoo, complete with affectionate camels... ..and, of course, food (I couldn't find a real picture of fair food)!!!!! On Friday night, Sarah and I went back for the Brooks and Dunn concert. It was a great date night, and we had a blast. Brooks and Dunn put on a really good, exciting show. I really enjoyed the opening act, though. He was Jamey Johnson, and you really need to check him out if you like really sad, heartfelt, "outlaw" country. His music is a lot like Waylon Jennings. His songs are very, very real, and very personal. He seemed a little out of place singing sad, angry songs in the bright sunshine to a huge crowd that was mostly waiting to hear Brooks and Dunn. I bought his CD today, and I'm in steel guitar heaven.

No comments:

Contributors


Hits (since July 8, 2008)