It's late on Sunday night. I thought I would jump on really fast and tell about Easter weekend . On Saturday, we went to the Waukee community egg hunt. It was a HUGE event in the park. It was 15 minutes of waiting, 15 minutes of chaos, and then everybody got back in their warm cars. Asher was pretty excited about it. The rest of the day he was talking about the suckers he found "in the GRASS!"

At the starting line ready to go!


Sarah "coaching" in the thick of the hunt
Saturday afternoon, I went fishing. Not much exciting there. I was fishing a small, ice-free corner of Big Creek Lake. It looked very promising, but not even a nibble. I'm still getting the hang of my new baitcasting reel. After an hour or so, I just went for a long walk along the lake. The rest of the lake still has quite a bit of ice on it, and there were several ice fisherman out. It seemed a little sketchy to me, since I had just been casting into open water not far away. It was definitely not like a few weeks ago, when the ice was scattered with cars, trucks and ice shanties.
Anyway, this morning, Easter dawned with a cold wind and a dusting of new snow. The Easter Bunny brought Asher a big, stuffed shark (he loves it), an assortment of police vehicles, sidewalk chalk, and several well-hidden eggs full of candy. Sarah got a new Pound Puppy (she nobly gave first one up before going to Africa). I got a new chimney starter (for the grill). I also got (well, it's really a family thing), a stovetop espresso maker (the old-fashioned metal pot kind), and a milk frother, as well as some sugar-free syrups so I can make Sarah's favorite vanilla-caramel lattes.



Asher ready to go to church.
We went to our special church service downtown. It was awesome! We had late breakfast at Cracker Barrel (diets don't apply on Holidays), then headed home. Asher and I went and bought vegetable seeds for the garden, which we planted tonight in an indoor tray. We planted a few kinds of tomatoes, basil, eggplant, zucchini, and rosemary. We also got seeds for Swiss chard and sugar snap peas (my favorite vegetable). Asher had a TON of fun planting seeds, a little too much actually, since he was focused on pushing his seeds all the way to the bottom of the little cup. He had a great time, and got covered in dirt without having to leave the kitchen table!
For dinner, we had ham, funeral potatoes (as they are known in Utah, potato hotdish in the Midwest), asparagus, and even hot-cross buns. It felt a litle like Easter dinner at home, but not quite the same, because we missed everybody.
2 comments:
Tim and Sarah,
It is always a pleasure to read anything you write. You both write so that I feel I am right there with you. I wish I was right there with all of you!!! I'm glad to hear that your Easter went well. Just think of the difference 1 year makes, last year Asher would not have been as interested in an egg hunt and next year he will be one of the kids tearing through the field to find candy in the grass. I remember those days, although I don't recall having taken Sarah to that many egg hunts as she was growing up. Oh, well, Sarah, you can enjoy them through your Asher now. I love you all lots and bunches, Mom
Asher looks adorable! I love you guys!
Post a Comment