this picture from last Saturday at Big Creek is one of my favorites ever, but Sarah took it on her phone and emailed it, so it's really grainy.
Yesterday (another Saturday), steady snow fell all day, although it barely accumulated at all. We were grateful to have that rather than the flooding up north, or the huge blizzard down in the Southern Plains. Despite the snow, we went to the duckpond and the zoo. The zoo was fun, and we, of course, had it all to ourselves. In keeping with my tradition of odd llama encounters, I was petting one, and put it's nose right on mine. I had one second to think this was odd, when the thing suddenly pulled back a few inches and spit right between my eyes. My eyes, eyebrows, and forehead were covered with some kind of nasty llama goo, foul smelling and full of tiny bits of hay.
Today was a beautiful, crystal-clear day. We went to early church, then drove all the way to Pella, Iowa. Pella, as I've mentioned before, is a town that is like a little mini-version of Holland in Iowa. It has a huge windmill in the middle of town, a canal and one of those European town clocks with the little carved people that come out and move around. It is the hometown of Wyatt Earp and Utah Jazz small forward Kyle Korver (Go Jazz!) The town square is surrounded by Dutch-style buildings, including Dutch butcher shops and bakeries, all of which are closed on Sundays. That was OK, since wanted to eat at a very good Chinese buffet we had tried before. After a huge lunch, we took a little walk through downtown. There was more snow in Pella than here, and Asher was busy splashing in puddles, running through the snow, and jumping in the slush.
On the way back, we checked out some campgrounds for an upcoming weekend trip, and I climbed the observation tower at Lake Red Rock again. It was such a clear day that I could see a huge part of the state. I could see the tallest skyscraper in Des Moines, 50 miles away. It's rare to be able to see that far in Iowa, because of the rolling hills. It's amazing to see 360 degrees of unbroken distant horizon, and that much sky. It's almost a bit unnerving for someone who comes from a mountainous part of the country.
I have roasted two of the types of coffee I received from Sweet Maria's (see last post). I tried the Brazil Ipanema first. It was just OK, but I think it would be nice roasted a little darker than what I did. I also tried the Guatemalan, I can't remember what kind that one was. That was delicious, very mild and almost chocolatey, with a little hint of lemon at the end. I'll try that one roasted a little darker as well.
On the BBQ front, I have started to contact some of the contests I'd like to judge this year. Hopefully, I can try a couple new ones, but I don't know which contests I judged last year that I would pass on this year. There are only so many weekends in the summer, and I want to save a few to go out of town.
Spring Break 2013 ~ Kure Beach, NC
13 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment