Saturday, June 19, 2010

Batter Up!

It's another warm, humid summer Saturday afternoon in Iowa. For the first time in a long time, we had a day with nowhere we needed to be.  We took it pretty easy, going to the Des Moines farmers market in the morning (Eva's first time there).  We did a little shopping, and then spent the afternoon at home.  Asher put in plenty of time in his wading pool (with snorkel and goggles... hilarious) and I grilled up some really, really good steaks...if I do say so myself.
 We had a really stormy week, with huge storms pretty much every day.  Yesterday, I went to the daycare for "daddies and donuts" with both kids.  Afterwards, I came outside and the tornado sirens started going off, which was very odd since it wasn't that stormy yet.  I drove the couple of blocks to my work, then spent the next hour or so in the storm shelter area.  There wasn't actually a tornado there, but during the day there were several around the state.  We'll probably get some more storms tonight and tomorrow, too.

Asher had a big week. Thursday night was his first real T-ball game.  He had a blast!
Scoring a run


me, coaching third


Last Saturday, I headed down to Ottumwa, two hours southeast of here, for the O'Town BBQ Showdown.  I judged at the contest, and the BBQ was great (the brisket was phenomenal).  It was fun to get out and see a part of Iowa where I hadn't been before. The drive down was incredibly stormy, and the storms got to Ottumwa right when I got there. Next weekend, the state championship in Marshalltown!

No comments:

Contributors


Hits (since July 8, 2008)