Sunday, July 6, 2008

Little Deuce Coupe

It is a muggy, threatening afternoon on the plains, with severe thundertorms looming. We just got back from seeing the movie WALL-E. It was Asher's first movie in the theater since Cars came out two years ago. It was a good movie and actually pretty thought-provoking, although it is a change of pace to see a movie that has so little dialogue. Asher did very well, although he did get very fidgety for the last half-hour or so. We also went to church today, and we finally found a really good hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant in Des Moines. My quest for good Mexican food in Iowa has been long and more-or-less fruitless, until today. Now, if I can find some decent chile verde..... We have had a good Fourth of July weekend. Until today, the weather has stayed perfect, sunny but not too hot. On Friday night, we grilled steak and sweet corn, then walked over to Centennial Park for Waukee's fireworks. We checked out the festivities, listened to the band for a few minutes, then found a nice spot on top of a small hill on the disk golf course. Only a few people were sitting on the hill, and in true Iowa tradition, one lady gave Asher a sparkler. My mom will be proud to know that I worried a LOT about that one, but Asher was safe and enjoyed his sparkler. As the fireworks began, we realized we were very, very close. The fireworks were launching from down the hill below us, drifting directly above us, exploding, then raining smoldering debris, most of which was actually landing behind us. It was another good fireworks show to cap off our holiday festivities. Yesterday, I went to a huge car show. It was called the Good Guys Heartland Nationals, and it is billed as the largest car show in the Midwest, with about 3500 pre-1972 cars, mostly custom muscle cars and street rods. It actually seemed like more cars than that. It is pretty much impossible to see that many cars in a day, and they are constantly cruising around, so when you think you have seen them all, they have all changed places. It was really cool, although it is tough to see so many cars and still take the time to appreciate the work and craftsmanship that went into each one. By the end of the day, I was fried from too much walking, too much hot-rod exhaust, too much V-8 noise, and way too much sun. It was great! I was too tired to stick around to see the evening entertainment, even though it was ZZ-Top and Tina Turner, a double-bill that is tough to pass up! When I got home, we grilled burgers, then took a long drive in the country at sunset, listening to my new Willie Nelson box set. The rain is starting outside now. I am going to hurry outside and roast some coffee beans for Monday morning. When we were in Maine, Mark gave me a sample of some Guatemalan beans called Finca la Florencia. They are tasty, very smooth on the palate. (Yes, Mark, I think I do detect a hint of chocolate on the finish.) OK, that is enough of the "Coffee Bosens" blog for today. I promise to leave the tasting notes for the experts. Speaking of tasting, I get to be a judge at another barbeque contest next weekend. This one will be in nearby Ankeny, Iowa.

No comments:

Contributors


Hits (since July 8, 2008)