It is a stormy Tuesday night on the plains. Now that it is officially fall, I guess it was time for a break from the beautiful, sunny (but not too hot) weather we have had here lately. I hope that it comes back. Tonight, the weather radio alarm even went off, for the first time in several weeks. We watched the movie "Run, Fatboy, Run" tonight. It was pretty funny, and maybe a tiny bit inspiring to me. I just got online to order an
urgently-needed car part, and realized it had been a few days since I have posted here.
It is only Tuesday, but this week has already been long. Last weekend was nice and relaxing, though. Saturday was our fifth anniversary. What did we do? Well, we went fishing. I know, I know. Sarah wanted to fish, though, I promise. We will have a nice romantic night-out sometime soon, but sometimes it is tough to find a babysitter here. Anyway, on Saturday, we got a rod and reel for Sarah (
the kind she remembers from childhood), then headed up to a backwater on the Des Moines River for some fishing as a family. I caught a largemouth bass and a mystery fish (I think it was my first
wiper) and Asher had fun throwing rocks and mudballs into the water. By the time we left the river, we were tired and disheveled, and Asher was in a bad mood, so the options for a respectable dinner were dwindling. We did, however, come across an
Old Chicago restaurant, which has a bit of importance to us because we ate at one on our honeymoon in Colorado. I know, I know. It was not the right venue for a big anniversary night, but we'll go out for real another night, I promise. Oh, and Old Chicago is tasty. And I did get her flowers...
It really is amazing to think we have been married for five years. Sometimes, our wedding seems like just yesterday, but then I think of everything that has happened in our lives since then. Asher has been the biggest thing, but we have also had major job changes, bought and moved into two houses, and of course we moved halfway across the country. It has all been our life, together. We have shared it all. I wonder what changes we will be looking back at five years from now, or five years after that.
On Sunday afternoon, we actually went fishing again, which was Sarah's idea (she is getting into fishing a little bit). We went to Maffit Lake. The fishing was slow (we caught one little fish), but it was a perfect evening, with the sun going down over the lake and the fall colors lighting up the woods and the brush. The leaves are really beginning to show their colors now. In a week or two, it should be absolutely spectacular. I'm going to go to sleep, before this gets too sentimental.
No comments:
Post a Comment