Saturday, September 13, 2008

It's A New Old Car!

Field of Dreams It is a humid fall night in Iowa, after several days of fairly steady light rain. Fall is in the air here, and occasionally I come across a tree that has already turned completely red. No, please stop it! I am not ready for winter yet! I just came in from the garage, where I replaced the brake pads on our Nissan, which is a much-needed improvement. I am sweaty, and filthy from the brake dust and grease. Today has actually been a big day in our automotive lives. We bought a new (very used) car today. Our pickup truck has been out of commision for a while, so we have been using just the one little car, carpooling to work. It has been good for saving gas, but very inconvenient, since we each finish work at different times every day. Also, we wanted one vehicle big enough to carry the three of us and both dogs. Today, we came across a great deal, and went for it. We bought a Mitsubishi Diamante Wagon. It is roomy inside, allegedly pretty good on gas, and runs quietly and smoothly down the road. It has a wonderful old car smell. I have always been a station wagon fan (I know, I'm kind of wierd), and it is good to return to that kind of vehicle. It is also a car you don't neccessarily see every day, and it's sort of stylish, in my opinion. Old stickers always add character to a used car This morning, we headed to a pancake breakfast cooked by our town's fire department. We ate lots of food, and Asher got to meet the firemen. After breakfast, we went outside and they showed us the inside of an ambulance and a firetruck. They let Asher sit in the firetruck, even in the driver's seat, and they showed us how everything works. Asher was thrilled! Today was a day Iowans look forward to all year, the football game between the Iowa Hawkeyes and the Iowa State Cyclones. The hype builds for weeks, and everybody is expected to take a side. We learned last year that even those who have only been in Iowa for a few weeks are not exempt. We have become a Hawkeye family. Today, the Hawekeyes beat the Cyclones in a sloppy, rainy, low-scoring battle. Asher had time for some baseball practice this afternoon. Here is an action shot of him hitting a solid line drive to right field, accompanied by his traditional shout of "Go Go Cubbies!" Rosie is getting bigger, and is a real handful now. She has started losing her baby teeth and her big teeth are growing in. She is funny, loyal (to me), affectionate, and destructive. Every picture of her now is kind of an action shot, unless she is asleep.

1 comment:

Five Carmonas said...

Now that is one groovy car! And I bet you don't lose it in the grocery store parking lot like me and my very normal silver honda odyssey minivan. The kids have taken note of every little detail of our car, "moonshadow, the family van" so when we loose it and I say "Oh, I think that is it," they say "no mom, that one has black handles and our's has silver handles." I guess that what kids are for...except if I did not have kids, I wouldn't be driving a mini van, hmmmm, I'll have to ponder that one.... Anyway, congrats on the new old car!

Contributors


Hits (since July 8, 2008)