
It was finally a beautiful weekend in Iowa, and we tried to make the best of it. Saturday morning, we went to downtown Des
Moines for the first Farmer's Market of the year. It was fun, and packed with people enjoying the warmth, the food, and the people-watching. We got some ribs from our favorite pork farmers, a piece of the famous
Maytag Blue Cheese from Newton, Iowa (stinky and delicious), honey, a couple of Dutch letters, and the long-awaited
poffertjes! I like mine with a little powdered sugar, but Asher and Sarah prefer theirs with strawberries and cream.

From there, we headed out to
Pella, a little piece of Holland on the Plains! Next week is
Pella's big festival, Tulip Time. We will be in the Omaha area next weekend, so we got to see the tulips a week early, minus the big crowds.
Pella was beautiful, with plenty of tulips blooming all over town
Asher smelled lots of flowers (this is his default pose he does whenever he sees flowers and a camera.)
There are several windmills in town, including this little one in the Sunken Gardens...
And the huge, fully operational one downtown
Asher put on the wooden shoes....
And did his best cobblestone strut!
He even got to watch a (long) puppet show in the street.

I really like the architecture in
Pella. It is an interesting mix of Dutch style and good-old small-town Iowa.

Yes, we ate at
Int'Veld Bologna. It is a great old-fashioned meat market/deli.
Pella Bologna is very famous in Iowa, and is really not much like the Oscar Meyer kind. It's a smoky, mild sausage that comes in kind of a horseshoe/ring shape.
The rest of the weekend was good, too. I cooked the aforementioned ribs (tasty!) and tried, with mixed results and lots of frustration, to add some lattice under our deck. Sarah led music for the kids at church, and will be doing that regularly from now on.
Next weekend, I will be judging my first barbecue contest of the 2009 season, in Council Bluffs Iowa, just over the river from Omaha. I have already signed up for several contests, and it looks like I'll be
judging every other Saturday for most of the summer. I'm ready for some good BBQ!
2 comments:
Good ole Pella Bologna! I think we have a couple rings in our freezer right now...
Post a Comment